Grace and Peace to Each of You

August 3, 2018

Dear Friends in the CSP Community,

Today I write to inform you of my decision to step down as your president on June 30, 2019. I have communicated my plans to the Board of Regents, which will commence a search for a new president with its first meeting of the new academic year. The timing of my notice provides the board with a generous window within which to conduct a thorough search.

I count my years of service as president of Concordia University St. Paul as some of the most fulfilling of my professional life. I am very pleased with what we have accomplished together during the last seven years. From the perspectives of strategic direction, academic program offerings, number and professional strength of the faculty, development of key leaders, size and diversity of enrollment, condition of property and facilities, financial position and, most importantly, student achievements, the university has never been in a better position. My admiration for and appreciation of our students knows no bounds and being associated with them has been the best part of my job.

The recent Higher Learning Commission process to affirm our institution’s accreditation confirmed that the university is on a sound footing by virtually every possible measure. Moreover, the visitation team also took admiring notice of such less easily measured qualities as spirit of community, unified commitment to common goals, and capacity to partner with other institutions. I was not surprised to hear these comments, since I have experienced them in abundance during my various tenures with the university.

After my departure from Concordia, I will be attending to certain business matters, which are making increasing demands on my time and spending more time with family, especially the five beautiful grandchildren with which God has blessed my wife and me.

I look forward to our celebration of 125 years as a university under the theme Leading in Legacy. Certainly, the Lord has been our dwelling place throughout all the generations of this institution and has established the work of our hands (cf. Ps. 90:1, 17). I have every confidence in him as we move ahead. Grace and peace to each of you.

Very truly yours,

Tom Ries